Hanover, MD – ABC7 – Fifteen workers at the Chevys Fresh Mex restaurant at Arundel Mills Mall were taken to a local hospital this afternoon suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide.

Lieutenant Russ Davies of the Anne Arundel County fire department says the hood and duct system in the kitchen had not been working this morning.

When fire officials came to check the hood, they noticed some of the workers were showing signs of carbon monoxide exposure, such as headaches, nausea and tightness in the chest. The level of carbon monoxide was within acceptable levels he says, but they had been exposed over five to six hours.

Lunchtime customers at the restaurant were evacuated, but they did not complain of any symptoms. Davies says the restaurant was closed, but the rest of the mall was not affected.