FL – A gas explosion at a Pompano Beach grocery sent two employees to the hospital and caused the evacuation of a strip mall Monday, a city spokeswoman said.

The explosion occurred about 11:30 a.m. at Brazilatino Supermarket in the 100 block of South Cypress Road, said Pompano Beach spokeswoman Sandra King. Two men arriving at the store to open up the business smelled gas.

Seconds later, the building’s roof exploded, its front glass popped out and a neighboring business’ glass also blew.

Paramedics took the two employees to North Broward Medical Center, with burns and cuts from the glass, King said. Their injuries are not life-threatening.

Authorities immediately evacuated the five other businesses and shut down several roads near the strip mall just south of Atlantic Boulevard, King said. Most of the streets were later reopened.

A preliminary investigation suggests that propane gas built up in the business overnight, Kind said.