Johnson City, Tn. – Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning caused the death of a Washington County couple discovered in their home near Johnson City.

Capt. Mark Page of the Washington County Sheriff’s Department said the bodies of 72-year-old James Garland and 65-year-old Ann Garland were discovered in their bedroom by a family member around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Page said a gas generator was in a garage connected to the house and that the couple apparently left the door to the garage open, which allowed the carbon monoxide to enter.

He said the generator was being used because the couple’s power was out due to the wintery weather.

Page said the last time family members talked to the couple was Saturday night.