Brookfield TWP, MI – State police report a buildup of propane in the basement of an area home is the cause a house explosion discovered Thursday.

Owendale Fire Chief Matt Roemer said he was traveling on Pobanz Road Thursday morning when he noticed the windows of the home had been blown out and the roof was sagging.

According to Trooper Brian McComb, of the Michigan State Police Bad Axe Post, the home where the explosion took place is located on the west side of Pobanz Road between Huron Line and Back roads. Not only did the explosion cause all the windows of the home to be blown out, it also resulted in the house being lifted off its cement block foundation.

“A state police fire marshal from the Gladwin post arrived and determined the explosion occurred in the basement of the home (located at 5356 Pobanz Road),” said McComb, adding it was determined the buildup of propane caused the house to explode. “The exact date of the explosion is unknown, and this incident remains under investigation.”

Roemer said the homeowner recently passed away, and state police report the house has been vacant since last fall. “It’s hard to say exactly when this happened,” said Roemer, adding no one in the neighborhood heard or noticed anything leading up to his discovery on Thursday.

Troopers were assisted at the scene by the Owendale Fire Department and DTE Energy.