Plains, PA – The Citizens Voice

A Plains Township man died from carbon monoxide fumes on Monday after an apparent generator mishap.

Luzerne County Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Lisman said Harry N. Perrillo, 67, of Ridgewood Road in the Keystone section of Plains was killed from carbon monoxide intoxication at his home.

“The coroner’s office investigated it, and we ruled the death accidental from carbon monoxide intoxication,” Lisman said.

Lisman did not feel Perrillo’s death was flood-related. He noted only that he had a generator running in his basement. Deputy Coroner Tom Moran was the field investigator sent to the scene. He concurred with Lisman’s conclusion that the death was not directly flood-related.

“The location of his property is way up on top of the mountain in Keystone,” Moran said.

Moran said Perrillo’s wife, Maryann, was also overcome by fumes. She was taken to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center. Hospital officials said she was still in the intensive care unit.

Moran was not sure if the storm knocked out power. Representatives from PPL were contacted Tuesday night, but calls were not returned.

According to Moran, authorities were sent to the scene after a relative called 911.