Nags Head, NC- A propane tank ruptured at a home in Nags Head at 12:06 p.m. on May 6, 2009. Dare County EMS and Nags Head Fire and Rescue were called to the home with a report of a propane explosion. The residential tank actually ruptured without a fire while being filled. It is reported that the rupture happened due to corrosion on the tank. The victim was transported by Dare County EMS

to The Outer Banks Hospital. There are no reports as to the severity of injury.

Many unnecessary and preventable fires and explosions kill and severely injury people every year. Propane is a colorless and odorless gas. Propane gas has an odor which smells like rotten eggs added to it so that any leaks can be detected. It is a highly flammable gas and should be treated with great caution. The Suburban Propane website gives some great tips on how to

use propane in a safe manner.

If you smell gas put out all smoking materials and open flames.

If it is safe to do so, shut off the main gas valve.

Leave the area immediately.

Report the leak to your propane dealer and local fire department from a neighbor’s home.

Do not return to your home until you are told by a responsible authority that it is safe to do so.

Have your propane appliances checked regularly to ensure they are in proper working order.