Barnes, MO – A Barnes house explosion landed one man in the hospital Wednesday night.

Volunteer firefighters from Barnes, Highland and Drummond responded to the residence at the intersection of Barnes Road and County Road N at approximately 6:15 p.m.

The man who lived in the one-bedroom home suffered minor injuries and was taken to Hayward Area Memorial Hospital, where he spent the night, according to Highland Fire Chief Todd Carlson. No one else was injured.

While the explosion was large enough to dislodge window frames from the residence, Carlson said, the home was not badly damaged. The explosion appeared to have been caused by a propane leak in the kitchen, he said.

In general, said the Highland chief, “it’s just been a super-quiet year here for us.”

But the current economic situation has changed things even for firefighters.

“We’ve had a substantial amount of motorcycle accidents,” this year, Carlson said, about twice the number the department usually handles. The chief traced that to the economy.

“A lot more people are riding motorcycles,” he said. “I’m sure it’s related to the gas crunch.”