Cumberland, MD – Officers with the Cumberland Police Department say one person is dead and another is critically injured after being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

The incident happened on Tuesday afternoon, just before 4:30 p.m. at a home on Boone Street.

Investigators with the Allegany County Combined Criminal Investigation Unit say the investigation revealed that Chester Edward Porter Jr., 63, of Cumberland and Ronald Eugene Mowery, 67, of Ellerslie, were inside the unoccupied residence painting. They were both utilizing a kerosene powered heater and a gasoline powered generator. There were no windows or doors left open to ventilate the interior.

Investigators suspect both were overcome by the carbon monoxide before losing consciousness. No foul play is suspected. Porter was pronounced dead on scene. Officials say his body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Baltimore for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Mowery was taken to the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center for further treatment.

Officials with the Cumberland Fire Department tested the interior of the building and found it contained dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide. Emergency personnel were concerned the carbon monoxide may have seeped through the walls into the adjoining attached duplex. After checking next door, they determined that the levels were at a normal range, and the resident inside was okay.

Emergency officials went back to the first residence and ventilated it to lower the carbon monoxide to acceptable levels and made it safe. The investigation is ongoing.