Greensburg, IN – WRTV -Officials say a Greensburg man suffered serious burns in an explosion at his house but managed to get his 1-year-old daughter out before she could sustain any serious injury.

Jared Coy and his daughter were inside when a blast — apparently caused by a natural-gas leak — rocked the house Wednesday, Greensburg Fire Chief Scott Chasteen said.

“As we were arriving, (Coy) was exiting, still basically smoldering from the explosion,” Chasteen said. “He had rolled in the snow to cool himself and had brought his infant daughter out.”

Coy suffered second- and third-degree burns to 60 percent of his body. He was taken to Indianapolis’ Wishard Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition Thursday, RTV6’s Vicki Duncan reported.

The child suffered minor injuries, Duncan reported.

The blast momentarily lifted the house’s roof and severely damaged the building’s interior. The roof fell back on top of the home.

Officials said Coy’s effort to get his daughter out of the home was miraculous, considering his burns.

Officials said members of the Coy family smelled gas a few days before the explosion but didn’t call the fire department or the gas company.

Chasteen said investigators believe the explosion was caused by a gas leak in the area of the home’s utility room.