Taunton, MA – TAUNTON, Mass. — Investigators have ruled that a natural gas explosion that destroyed a Taunton home was the result of the homeowner trying to do her own repairs.

The homeowner, identified as 52-year-old Laurie Beliveau, got out of the house before the Sunday afternoon explosion and fire and no one was hurt.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Fire Chief Timothy Bradshaw said Monday that the homeowner was attempting to repair her gas-fueled hot water heater and ended up removing the gas shut off valve. This allowed gas to pour into the basement where it was ignited by any one of a number of possible sources.

The house is considered a total loss.