North Toledo, OH- An unoccupied North Toledo house under renovation was destroyed by a fire authorities believe was caused by a natural gas explosion in the basement early Wednesday, authorities said.
There were no injuries, according to the Toledo Fire Department.
Fire crews arrived about 2 a.m. and found the two-story wood frame house at 1108 East Manhattan Blvd. near Cecelia Avenue fully engulfed in flames, Battalion Chief Bill Hickey said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by about 3:30 a.m., by which time it was a complete loss.
Chief Hickey believed the fire had started from a natural gas explosion in the basement. Damage was estimated at $40,000, he said.
The Lucas County Auditors Web site lists the owner of the 1917 house as Berlyn J. Lawrence.
City workers razed the building by about 6 a.m., the battalion chief said.