North Las Vegas, NV – A North Las Vegas family is lucky to be alive after being rushed to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. The toxic gas was apparently leaking into their home from an old furnace.

Ramon Lugo will never forget the morning he woke up only to find his roommates and family collapsed on the floor throughout the house they rent. He immediately called 911. When firefighters arrived, they were so weak they had to be carried out of the home.

Umberto Flores says he remained conscious long enough to give his 4 year-old daughter CPR.Once hospitalized, blood work revealed that they were all suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, and the furnace turned out to be the culprit.

The family says they felt air coming through the vents inside the house, even though the heater was turned off. Yet after close inspection officials noticed that the vents on the roof were covered with plastic.

“If that vent is blocked, they have the potential of having a backfill of carbon monoxide leak into the house, which can cause death,” said North Las Vegas Fire Capt. Cedric Williams.

The family says they were vomiting throughout the night and noticed their skin was red and irritated, one of the many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, a silent killer that claims thousands of lives every year.

“You can’t see it, smell it, or taste it. So the best way to detect it is with a carbon monoxide detector in the home,” added Williams.

One of the family members is still in the hospital. They said they didn’t know just how close of a call this was, until doctors told them that if they would have stayed inside the house for just another hour, they would have all been dead.