Hamden, CT – The Jackson Channel – An early-morning explosion shattered windows and triggered a house fire in Connecticut Thursday, affiliate station NBC 30 reported.

The gas company has been doing work on a Hamden street for a week or so, and firefighters say a natural gas leak may be to blame.

Fire investigators believe the blast occurred around 2 a.m. when one man answered nature’s call.

John Ross turned on a bathroom light switch and that small spark likely ignited natural gas, sending the explosion outward and rocking his family’s house.

The force sent debris flying and caused significant structural damage.

There were some small fires in the electrical system that are all characteristic of a gas explosion, say fire officials.

Remarkably, all five people who live in the house walked away even though their house blew up around them.