Glenmont, NY – Price Chopper in Glenmont was closed for two hours Wednesday morning because of a leak in the bakery that caused high carbon monoxide levels.

A carbon monoxide alarm sounded around 8:30 Wednesday morning, said Selkirk Fire Department Assistant Chief Joe Michaniw. The store was evacuated.

The fire department found a carbon monoxide reading of 200 parts per a million inside a walk-in cooler, a level harmful to people.

The fire department located the source of the leak in a pipe that vented a stove in the bakery. The pipe had rotted and broken and was allowing fumes into the space between the roof and ceiling tiles, Michaniw said. He said the tainted air was being drawn into the store’s ventilation system.