A New Castle woman received second-degree burns yesterday when a propane gas line ruptured in her mother’s kitchen, firefighters said.

Jody Stefano was helping her parents at their residence on Harlansburg Road in Scott, Lawrence County, when the accident occurred around 11:30 a.m., fire Chief Jack Hitchen said.

As the women moved a propane stove away from a wall in the kitchen, the 2-inch gas line was pulled from the wall.

The pilot light on the stove was still lit, and the escaping gas ignited while Ms. Stefano stood in front of the broken line.

Her mother immediately ran outside to turn off the propane tank, and emergency personnel were summoned.

Chief Hitchen said the fire was out by the time his crews arrived.

Ms. Stefano was taken by helicopter to UPMC Mercy with burns to the face, hands and a leg, Chief Hitchen said.

She was admitted in critical condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.