Greensboro, NC- A house near the intersection of Textile Drive and Jolson Street exploded Saturday, sometime after 11 a.m.

“I just drove up and parked and hadn’t gotten out of the car yet and heard an explosion and I seen the house falling apart,” said Doug Prevette, a witness to the explosion.

Firefighters say the combination of natural gas and a water heater caused the house explode.

“I heard a loud explosion and this big ball of fire. And the house just blew up and everything just fall apart,” said Jemme Moore, who was walking by the house when it exploded.

The house has been for sale for a while. Firefighters say the house’s vacancy is one of the main reasons it exploded. Assistant Chief David Douglas says a slow leak filled the house with gas, starting at the ceiling and working its way down. The gas eventually reached the point of ignition near the heater.

“It was horrible to see it it was something like in the movies you only see these things in movies,” said Moore.

Now, pieces of the newly renovated home span three blocks away. Insulation covers the streets like fresh snow. As for neighbors, seeing the house next store blow up, gets different reactions.

“It was scary really scary, have you shaking you know,” said Moore.

“Nothing surprises me anymore man, not in this world,” said Prevette.

No one was injured by this explosion.

Assistant Chief Douglass told WFMY News 2, he thinks the explosion was an accident.

He explained that if someone were in the house, they would have smelled the natural gas long before it blew up.

Natural gas leaks might smell like a rotten egg odor. The odor is added to the gas so a leak can be detected.

Experts said if you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak.

Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances.

Do not smoke or use any open flames.

Leave the house, then call 911 and the utility company.

A faulty furnace or one that is not properly vented can cause carbon monoxide to build in the house.

To reduce the risk, install a carbon monoxide detector.

Each year, have a qualified repair person inspect appliances that use natural gas.

Inspect vents, flues and chimneys of gas water heaters, furnaces and fireplaces.

Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that does not have proper ventilation.