St. Clair Shores, MI – A deadly house explosion in St. Clair Shores was caused by a natural gas leak. Consumers Energy and fire department investigators think the leak started inside the victim’s home.

Despite the brave rescue efforts of neighbors, 83-year-old Virginia Cislo died after suffering severe burns over much of her body.

Her home on Yale Street exploded in flames. She told paramedics one of the last things she did was turn on the dryer.

“When you got a small community like St. Clair Shores and a very tight-knit city like we have, it’s devastating when you lose someone to an injury like this, to a fire of this magnitude. It’s unfortunate,” said St. Clair Shores Fire Chief Matthew Kovalcik.

Investigators are still trying to figure out what caused the gas leak.

Meanwhile, funeral plans have been finalized for Virginia Cislo. Visitation will be held Monday at Van Lergerghe Funeral Home in St. Clair Shores. A funeral service will take place Tuesday at Our Lady of Hope Parish’s St. Germaine Campus, also in St. Clair Shores.