Buffalo, NY – A Buffalo mother is hospitalized with severe burns tonight after a natural gas explosion ripped apart her home.

Fire officials say Kimberly Briggs and her teenage daughters made it out of the Warring Avenue house after the blast. She tried to light the boiler when it blew. The girls carried their 11 year-old brother, who is disabled, to safety.

Tuesday night a police officer helped retrieve the boy’s wheelchair. He says Briggs was grateful her children are okay.

Briggs is in stable condition tonight at ECMC. Fire officials believe someone tried to turn the gas on illegally.