AK – A small explosion rocked a section of Egasak Street in Barrow on Monday, Feb. 18, injuring one man, according to North Slope Borough Police.

At about 8:30 a.m., police, firefighters and Emergency Medical Services personnel arrived at the house after receiving a report of the explosion.

They found extensive damage to the structure and determined the explosion was an accident and was caused by natural gas.

Patsy K. Neakok, the sole resident in the house at the time of the accident, was injured by the explosion and, after treatment at Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital, was transported by airlift service to the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage for further treatment.

Neakok told the officers that he had lit the boiler and was removing a plug from a vent when the explosion occurred.