Posted by Cathy McLain

A natural-gas explosion at a house in Federal Way sent two people to the hospital Friday night.

According to a news release from South King Fire & Rescue, a gas leak occurred in the basement of a home at 30431 23rd Ave. S.W. at about 5:30 p.m. and apparently came into contact with an ignition source.

One person was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center and the other was taken there in a King County Medic Unit. Two other people who were in the home at the time of the explosion were treated at the scene.

Emergency crews found extensive damage inside the home from the blast, and they extinguished fire in a wall and in the attic. A preliminary estimate put the damage to the home at $80,000.