Mount Vernon, NY – Police are investigating the accidental death of a 54-year-old city resident Monday night, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said today.

Keith Wigfall was found unconscious by his 76-year-old mother, Virginia, in her 115 Union Ave. garage, police said. He had been working in the garage on a gas-driven snow blower.

Police believe that Keith Wigfall fell ill and succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, Mount Vernon Sgt. Robert Scott said. The snow blower was running in the garage when police arrived. The windows and door were closed.

Mount Vernon police Chief Barbara Duncan said the carbon monoxide levels were even high outside the garage when tested by the fire department.

“We believe it is carbon monoxide poisoning,” Duncan said, “but we are awaiting results from the medical examiner’s autopsy.”

Paramedics at the scene pronounced Keith Wigfall dead at 8:52 p.m.

Keith Wigfall lived at 121 Union Ave., near his mother’s home.