Albany, NY- Capital News 9 – Fire officials confirm the motel explosion in Lake George was caused by a propane leak.

Fire Chief Bruce Killburn initially reported the blast happened after the owner of the studio motel tried to light a water heater.

Now , Kilburn says 39 year old Naeem Bajwa was inside room 27 when a gas leak from a stove ignited and blasted him out of the building. He was rushed to Fletcher Allen Healthcare in Burlington, Vermont and is now in critical condition.

County officials will survey the scene on Tuesday to determine what needs to be done with the damaged property.

Chief Killburn says the back portion of the motel will most likely need to be demolished.