Meriden, CT – A local homeless shelter had to be evacuated Sunday night after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

Shelter Now is located at 43 St. Casimer Drive. The shelter’s office manager Maria Wagner said at 7:16 p.m. the building’s carbon monoxide alarm went off and about 70 people had to be evacuated from the building. Wagner said no one was hospitalized and the shelter’s occupants were allowed to return after about an hour.

“There’s no danger right now,” Wagner said.

The issue may have stemmed from the furnaces in the basement of the building, Wagner said. Meriden firefighters and Eversource Energy officials were investigating the source of the issue Sunday night. A repairman has been called and the building is not in danger of losing heat overnight, Wagner said.

Fire officials could not be reached for comment.