Manchester, NH – Fire crews responded to two stores along South Willow Street Sunday afternoon to investigate an odor of gas.

Manchester fire officials reported employees at both Modell’s Sporting Goods and Pier 1 Imports called around 1:30 p.m. Sunday to report an odor of gas in their buildings.

Firefighters reported finding found above-average levels of carbon monoxide in the stores and evacuated them for an hour to ventilate the facilities.

While the incident remains under investigation, city firefighters believe a demolition crew working at the former Michael’s location nearby was using power equipment without the proper ventilation, which caused diesel and carbon monoxide fumes to enter the two stores.