Abilene, TX- One man suffered minor injuries when a leaking propane line caused an explosion and fire Thursday morning in the kitchen of a home at Lake Fort Phantom.

Shortly after 9 a.m., Abilene Fire Department crews responded to the call of a structure fire on Silo View Road on the eastern shore area of Lake Fort Phantom.

Initial reports from the homeowner indicated that something exploded in the kitchen, according to Division Chief Joey Kincaid.

Firefighters arrived to discover smoke coming from the front of the structure. Fire crews found a small fire in the kitchen area and were able to extinguish it in about five minutes.

The occupants reported smelling propane inside the house prior to the fire. While looking for the source of the odor, an explosion and small flash fire occurred. A male occupant received minor burns to his face and arms during the initial flash. Both occupants were able to self-evacuate before the Fire Department’s arrival. Neither occupant was transported to the hospital by MetroCare ambulance.

Fire damage was confined to the kitchen area, and fire investigators have ruled the fire accidental in nature. The cause was determined to be a leaking propane line inside the structure.

In all, eight units and 20 firefighters battled the blaze.