Rochester, NY- A man suffered second-degree burns after an

attempt to ignite his natural gas furnace caused a

small fire tonight, Rochester fire officials said.

The incident occurred about 8:15 p.m. at 53 Dale St.

According to Deputy Chief John Kearney, the 58-

year-old man was transported to Strong Memorial

Hospital for treatment and was conscious and alert.

RG&E is looking at shutting the furnace down

altogether, Kearney said.

The house now has an asbestos issue that Kearney

recommended the homeowner get resolved before

re-inhabiting the house.

Investigators from the Rochester Fire Department

said RG&E is still at the house investigating.