Nisland, SD – Aberdeen News – A man who became trapped when his house exploded Sunday night is recovering from injuries he received in the blast.

Bill Anderson, 45, was about to wash his hands in the bathroom sink around 10 p.m. when a suspected propane gas explosion tore his home apart. Rescue crews worked for 45 minutes to get him out of the pile of roof and wall timbers that collapsed on him, and he was flown to Rapid City Regional Hospital.

His teenage daughter escaped with minor injuries.

Neighbor Dwight Kitzan said he and others found Anderson pinned down on the first floor by the weight of the debris.

“He could talk. He was coherent,” Kitzan said. “We asked him if he wanted us to pull him out and he said his leg was pinned under him and he couldn’t move.”

Neighbors placed a jack under some of the main timbers to keep the boards, paneling, furniture and appliances from settling onto Anderson.

The blast tossed pieces of walls several feet from the main structure. Broken glass and siding were strewn several yards away from the house in all directions.

Butte County Sheriff Fred Lamphere said an initial investigation points to a possible propane leak that was ignited by a spark.

Anderson’s wife Diane was not home at the time of the explosion.

The home is considered a total loss and was not insured.