A Michigan man in Slaughterville visiting his brother was badly burned on his hands late Thursday night when his RV camper blew up as he was trying to light a propane-fueled heater.
Jasper Weeks, 81, wasn’t alone when his 1992 HitchHiker was blown apart by the flash explosion.
His black standard poodle, Pepe, was standing right next to him at the time.
Both Pepe and Weeks will survive, relatives say.
Weeks was in stable condition Friday afternoon at Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, where he’s receiving treatment at the hospital’s burn center, hospital spokesman Brad Bishop said.
Weeks’ brother and the owner of the property on Maguire Road, Louis Weeks, said his older brother’s poodle took off after the blast.
“He was running scared,” he said. “It was a hell of an explosion, can’t say I blame him.”
Louis Weeks said Pepe returned home early Friday morning with burns to his snout and was taken to the vet for treatment.
Leta Weeks, wife of Louis Weeks, said the explosion was very powerful. She said some of the debris landed on her home’s roof, about 20 yards away.
“The repercussions from the explosion shook our house,” Leta Weeks said. “Neighbors came from all around. They heard and felt it, too.”
Weeks had his daughter and grandchildren with him, Leta Weeks said, but none of them were in or near the trailer when it exploded at around 10 p.m.
“Thankfully, they were all inside the house with us,” she said. “Things could’ve been worse.”
The explosion was so forceful it blasted out two windows of a vacant house owned by Louis Weeks that sat a few yards to the west of the RV trailer.
Louis Weeks said his brother is a snowbird and usually stops at his place during the fall each year before he heads farther south for the winter.
“He ain’t OK, but he’s alive,” he said. “His winter home is gone, though.”
Leta Weeks said her brother-in-law seems to be doing as well as can be expected after his ordeal.
“I talked to him this morning and he was in good spirits,” she said. “I think he’s very lucky.”