Correctionville, IA – Authorities say a man survived an explosion at his home near Correctionville in northwest Iowa.
The Woodbury County sheriff’s office says 60-year-old Thomas Roark was injured Thursday afternoon in the blast that happened when he was trying to re-light a water heater.
Sgt. Jim Cunningham says there were propane fumes in the house and when he tried to light the water heater, it caused an explosion that lifted the house off its foundation. Windows and doors were also blown off.
The sheriff’s office says Roark, who was the only one at home at the time, drove himself to a medical clinic in Correctionville. He was transferred to a hospital in Sioux City.