Proctorville, OH – Lighting a kerosene heater with a buildup of propane sparked an explosion that seriously injured one man Sunday in Lawrence County, Ohio.

State fire investigators ruled the explosion an accident. It happened just after 5 a.m. Sunday along County Road 71 in Proctorville, said State Fire Marshal spokesman Shane Cartmill.

The spokesman identified the victim as James Neff, 49. He received second- and third-degree burns. He was taken to Cabell Huntington Hospital, where officials listed serious condition Monday.

Cartmill said the occupant woke to smell fuel from a propane heater. He turned off the propane at its tank, re-entered the camper and lit a kerosene lamp. That sparked an explosion from the buildup of propane already in the camper.

Cartmill said the camper was a total loss. Investigators were unsure if the camper had working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.