Wessington Springs, SD- A Wessington Springs man seriously injured when his house exploded last October is suing a propane gas supplier in federal court.

Darrick Van Dyke filed suit Thursday in U.S. District Court in Sioux Falls seeking a jury trial against CHS, Inc.

In a complaint, Van Dyke said he did not notice when the gas from his propane tank entered his home Oct. 12. He was asleep when the gas exploded that day, causing a fire in his house, which burned more than 80 percent of his body.

He said CHS sold a defective and dangerous product and should have supplied Van Dyke a gas detector.

Medical bills have totaled about $850,000 so far, according to the complaint.