Wichita, KS – Joe Rodriguez, Wichita Eagle – A 30-year-old man was hospitalized Sunday after an explosion and fire occurred in the basement of a home near Andale.

The incident happened after 1 p.m. as the man was lighting a propane appliance at his home near 59th Street North and 231st Street West, the Sedgwick County Fire Department said. No one else was injured.

He was taken to Via Christi Regional Medical Center-St. Francis Campus in critical condition, but was listed in fair condition late Sunday.