Eldora, IA- Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier via Associated Press

ELDORA, Iowa – A man suffered burns over 30 percent of his body after a gas explosion which was triggered when he tried to light a water heater, fire officials said.

Cameron Crosser, 27, of Eldora, apparently tried to light the water heater in the eastern Iowa home Sunday evening, said Grundy County Sheriff Rick Penning. The liquid propane exploded, and the force blew out windows and a heat register on the first floor, Penning said.

Crosser was taken to University Hospitals. The hospital released no information about Crosser on Tuesday.

Eldora Fire Chief Bruce Harvey said Crosser is expected to recover.

The State Fire Marshal’s office determined a faulty valve on the water heater was leaking.

Crosser was the only person inside the residence at the time of the incident.