Port Colborne, ON- – Local firefighters are sounding the alarm about carbon monoxide.

This comes one day after a Niagara Regional Police constable was found dead inside the basement of his home in Port Colborne, Ontario.

Police say the 49 year old was painting when he was overcome by CO fumes. His wife and two children were hospitalized.

Firefighters say this tragedy proves how crucial it is to have a CO detector inside your home.

Investigators say they found high levels of CO inside the victim’s home. They are not releasing his name at this time