Chicago, IL- A man died Saturday evening from carbon monoxide poisoning at a South Chicago neighborhood home.

Leroy Charles, 45, was discovered by a family member about 8 p.m. in the 7900 block of South Merrill Avenue, according to a South Chicago District police lieutenant.

Charles was dead on the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The relative called police who notified the fire department, which conducted a carbon monoxide test in the residence.

An autopsy Sunday determined Charles died of carbon monoxide intoxication, inhalation of furnace exhaust, according to a spokesman for the medical examiner’s office. His death was declared an an accident.

A normal reading for a carbon monoxide test is under 10, the lieutenant said. The reading was 600 in the home where Charles died.

Peoples Gas shut off the gas to the residence and apparently someone else incorrectly turned the gas back on, according to the lieutenant.

Calumet Area detectives are conducting a death investigation.