Reading, PA – CBS3 – Officials in Reading say a man was overcome by carbon monoxide yesterday after trying to heat his row home with charcoal because his gas heat had been shut off.

Julio Carvajal called 9-1-1 shortly after 5 p.m. and told paramedics that he had been ill most of the day.

Fire officials say the deadly gas built up in the home because Carvajal took apart a gas furnace in the basement and rigged a charcoal grill on top of the heating unit.

He was being treated in the emergency room at Reading Hospital for carbon-monoxide poisoning, officials said. His condition was not available