Indianola, WA – A man and his dog were injured and an Indianola apartment was severely damaged in a Friday night propane explosion.

The explosion happened just before 6 p.m. inside a small apartment at NE Shore Drive and Wildwood Street NE, according to Michelle Laboda with the North Kitsap Fire Department.

Laboda said it appears a leak may have developed in the fuel supply line leading to a heater in the rec room, causing propane to accumulate.

The explosion caused the apartment’s walls to bow outward and blew open the windows.

The man who lives there suffered serious injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital. His dog was also injured. A neighbor took the dog to a local emergency vet clinic.

The explosion didn’t start a fire, but Laboda said the apartment suffered severe structural damage.

It’s unclear what sparked the explosion, but Laboda doesn’t think it was due to criminal activity.