New Haven, CT – New Haven Register — A Westville man suffered serious burns after a natural gas explosion in his apartment Saturday evening.

The 52-year-old victim was taken to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital, according to police Sgt. Greg Catania.

Arson investigators were examining what sparked the blast but authorities said the incident appeared to be accidental.

The explosion happened in a rear apartment at 127 Anthony St. The victim, whom police did not identify, apparently was working on a gas stove inside the apartment when something sparked a powerful blast which injured the man and blew out windows on the side and rear of the building.

He suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns. The explosion was reported at 7:30 p.m. The location is near the corner of Whalley Avenue.

Acting West Battalion Chief Robert Gilluly said the victim lives in an apartment behind a hair salon.

Another person, who lives in a second-floor apartment, was unhurt.