Scottsville, KY – A 79-year-old man died Thursday of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning during a fire that started in his machine shed after fuel fumes ignited when reaching a water heater.
Macoupin County Coroner Brad Targhetta pronounced victim Charles Camerer, of Scottville, dead at 5:45 p.m. at the scene.
Targhetta said Camerer and his son-in-law were working on a vehicle in the shed at time of the fire. He said the men then tried to remove vehicles from the building, but the last time Camerer entered the structure, he was unable to get out and succumbed to effects of the gas.
Macoupin County Sheriffs Department deputies and the Greenfield and Hettick fire departments had responded to the scene prior to Targhettas arrival.
Targhetta said no autopsy will be conducted, and determined the cause of death appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
Stults-Neece Funeral Home of Palmyra is in charge of funeral arrangements.