Big Coppitt Key, FL – Two people are recovering from serious burns following an apparent propane stove explosion, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

Authorities were called just after 5 p.m. Sunday when a resident of the Tamarac Park neighborhood reported hearing an explosion inside a mobile home on Scorpio Lane.

According to the sheriff’s office, Ernesto Searles, 80, suffered burns on his arms, legs, chest and face. Maise Searles, 83, was burned on her arms and legs.

A neighbor helped the couple get out of their residence. They were transported to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami by Monroe County’s Trauma Star helicopter.

The explosion may have been caused by a propane gas leak in the stove that was ignited when the Searles were trying to start the pilot light, the sheriff’s office said.

The Fire Marshall’s Office is investigating the case to make a final determination.