Elmont, NY – WABC — Six people are in the hospital after carbon monoxide filled their basement apartment in Elmont, Long Island.

Nassau County Police say the owner of the home – 37-year-old Reginald Paul – returned home at five last evening and found six people inside unconscious.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas that can lead to unconsciousness and death in a matter of minutes at high concentrations.

Police say Paul called for help and police and fire officials responded.

Police say 41-year-old Margally Registre and her 41-year-old husband, Bernard, and their seven-year-old son, Christopher were admitted to the Nassau University Medical Center. The mom and dad are in critical condition, the boy is stable.

Another adult, 29-year-old Cassen Hicks, and two of her children, two-year-old Jordan Hicks and Soroya Hicks, no age given, are in the hospital for observation.

KeySpan Energy is checking the gas heating system in the house.