Matthews, VA – The explosion occurred after the homeowner, Stanley Jones, opened his front door on Merchant’s Lane in Glebe, said Fire Chief Ricky Tomlinson. Jones was thrown from the house and treated at a local hospital.

Tomlinson believes that a propane tank leaked gas into the house. The propane combined with the outside air and electronic objects inside triggered the explosion.

The house was destroyed, Tomlinson said. No one else was injured, and neighboring houses aren’t close enough to have been affected by the blast.