Watertown, SD – A leaky natural gas line caused a small explosion in a Watertown apartment Tuesday, according to a report from Watertown Fire Rescue.

WFR said their crews received a call at 6:34 p.m. about a gas leak in an apartment at 303 5th St. SE. Tenants informed WFR crews that a gas line near a stove was leaking.

Crews used monitoring equipment to determine that the atmosphere contained an explosive amount of gas. As WFR firefighters attempted to close the gas line, the gas reached the pilot light, causing a small explosion and subsequent fire on the top of the stove.

The flames were quickly doused with a fire extinguisher, although damage to the stove was estimated at about $300.

Watertown Municipal Utilities workers were called to make sure the gas line was closed and a fan was used to clear the apartment of any lingering natural gas.

The call was the second of the day about a natural gas leak. At 5:10 p.m. WFR’s Engine 3 traveled to Prairie Lakes Healthcare System after a gas line was struck while boring a hole.

WFR said the line was quickly closed and there was no threat to either the hospital or cancer center.