Hancock, MD- Julie E. Greene, The Herald Mail

A Washington County couple was staying with family Friday night after their home was damaged in a fire that might have been caused by a leaking gas line in the basement, officials said.

The two-story home at 3203 National Pike, about six miles west of Hancock, used to have a gas log fireplace, Hancock Fire Co. Deputy Chief Brian Reed said. However, the liquid propane line still was in the basement and apparently ignited, he said.

The minor explosion blew a few concrete blocks out of an interior basement wall, Reed said.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Jason Mowbray said the liquid propane line is a possible cause, but the official cause of the fire had not been determined.

The fire damage was limited to the basement, and the rest of the home had moderate smoke damage, Reed said.

No one was home at the time of the explosion, which was reported by a Washington County Sheriff’s Department deputy at 2:44 p.m., Reed said. The eputy happened to be checking on a vehicle in a nearby auto body garage when the deputy noticed smoke coming from the house, he said.