MI – A Lake Ann man suffered severe burns Saturday when a propane explosion destroyed a house and sent debris flying more than 1,600 feet from the residence, police said.

Thomas Edward Johnson, 36, is being treated at Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital’s burn unit after he was found in the middle of the structure.

Authorities said the explosion and fire were triggered by a relief valve that became blocked by snow falling off the house’s roof.

Police said the structure is a complete loss, but a damage figure was not immediately available.