Lexington, KY – Lexington Fire investigators said that a corroded gas line in the crawl space of a Lexington home separated, allowing a substantial amount of natural gas to leak into a house and caused an explosion that injured an elderly woman Tuesday morning.

Investigators say the leak, which was on the residential side of the gas meter connection at the home, located on Morgan Avenue, went undetected by the woman, who was attempting to light her gas stove with a match at about 9 a.m. The result was an explosion and flash fire.

The woman, whose name has not been released, received minor injuries and was fortunately able to escape from the home before the fire, fed by a fuel-enriched atmosphere, consumed the house and caused some damage to a nearby house.

The woman was treated and released from UK Hospital.