White Pigeon, MI – Investigators believe a portable propane tank may have triggered an explosion Tuesday that leveled a home and injured the home’s owner. Police believe Stanley was using the propane for supplemental heat.

David Stanley, who was airlifted to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo after the 8:45 a.m. blast and fire, was upgraded to serious-but-stable condition Wednesday, said Michigan State Police from the White Pigeon Post.

The explosion occurred at 13565 U.S. 12. Firefighters and police shut down U.S. 12 near the man’s home while they fought the fire and combed through rubble.

Police said fire marshals haven’t singled out the portable propane tank as the definitive cause, but said it could have possibly sparked the explosion.