Decatur, IL – A longtime central Illinois newspaper reporter is dead of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Macon County Coroner’s office says 63-year-old Ron Ingram died early Sunday after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in his Decatur home.
Ingram worked at the Herald & Review in Decatur. He joined the paper in 1969. Most recently, he covered the courts, police and politics but had written about everything from business to education.
Colleagues say Ingram’s booming voice and the apparently endless collection of hats he wore made him easily recognizable on the job.
Away from work, Ingram was a veteran Boy Scout leader.
The Hastings, Mich., native is survived by his wife, three children and 11 grandchildren.