Springfield, OH – Natalie Morales, News-Sun Staff Writer

A Thursday morning breeze helped flames engulf a Sycamore Street home, sending its owner to the hospital.

Earl H. Murnahan Sr., 88, of 138 N. Sycamore St., was by his stove when natural gas caused it to explode about 9 a.m., Springfield Fire and EMS Division Battalion Chief Marc Lloyd said.

Murnahan managed to get out of his house, and a passerby took Murnahan — who suffered from smoke inhalation and a singed head — into his car until rescue workers arrived, Lloyd said.

The fire burned through the small, white house, gutting it.