Tiffin, IA – Des Moines Register – Authorities believe a leaky propane tank is the cause of an early-morning fire Sunday that killed a rural Tiffin woman.

Mary Catherine Hebl, 95, died in the fire. Her daughter, Mary Rita Hebl, was treated at Mercy Hospital in Iowa City and released.

The Tiffin Fire Department was called at 6:40 a.m. to the two-story wood frame house, Tiffin Fire Chief Randy Morgan said. The Hebls, who lived together in the home, had exited the house, but Mary Catherine Hebl died at the scene by the time emergency crews arrived, officials said. The cause of death will be released after an autopsy, but smoke inhalation is likely the cause, Morgan said.

The cause of the fire was traced to the ignition of LP gas leaking out of a stove in the kitchen, Morgan said. Although the house was engulfed in flames, there was no explosion involved.